Other areas near Sacred Heart of Jesus
The Outdoor Cathedral, the area leading to the Sacred Heart of Jesus,
is designed to resemble the floor plan of a cathedral.
St. Francis of Assisi
Feast day: October 4
The Holy Spirit Bridge crosses a stream to lead visitors
to the gold-tone bronze statue of St. Francis of Assisi at the entrance
to the Outdoor Cathedral.
Francis was born to wealthy parents in Assisi, Italy in 1182.
Although he grew up with many worldly possessions he
became attracted to the virtue of poverty. His humility
and holiness drew young
men to follow him, and a new religious order, known around
the world as the "Franciscans," sprang up. Francis is
known for his love of nature and small animals. St. Francis
received the "stigmata," the wounds of Christ. He died
Way of the Cross
Stations are located along the right and left sides of the
central aisle leading to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
There are six shrines to the Blessed Virgin Mary based on her
appearances to special individuals.
These are located at the ascent to the statue of the Sacred
Heart of Jesus.
1. Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
2. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
3. Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted.
4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for
they shall be filled.
5. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
6. Blessed are the pure of heart: for they shall see God.
7. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called children
8. Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake,
for theirs is the
kingdom of heaven.